Relationship : Is it wrong to want your space?

Hey everyone,
Welcome back!

Today's post is going to be about relationships. I haven't done one in AGES. I figured it's about time & plus it was something I was going through myself, seeing how I haven't been in a long term relationship for a long time till now. 

So something I struggled early on in the relationship was having to get used to sharing space. I know it sounds ridiculous but I never thought it would be such a difficult thing to experience. I suppose I'm someone who likes my own space then, because I had to retreat to my own home & do my own routines every so often and it's during then I feel myself again which I felt bad for because I didn't want my partner to feel uncomfortable having me around and etc so in the end we talked it out and I realized this.

I'm going to share you my experience & my take on it so listen up ;) I hope it helps if you're in the same situation as me before. Let's begin with these two quotes to have in mind.

The one thing I learnt & realized from being in relationships is that, in this relationship you're in - you're supposed to feel as if 'nothing can hold you back' as in you two should be able to share and talk about anything. It should be your safe space rather than a worry. 

And secondly it's the ability to be yourself WITH each other. Incompatibility is one thing, but if you find that you have to hide one part of you to be something you're not for him/her then clearly, it's not right. The best relationship comes from being able to share & live together & support each other with your own growth and needs.

------------

So back to my point of is it wrong to want your own space when you're in a relationship? 

NO.
You deserve it tbh, you deserve your right to be yourself. 
You're a human being at the end of the day - we're not robots so we must accept that what we want isn't what others want for themselves & everyone has a different journey to experience in life.
Relationships are only made to bring two people together, that share common interest & to live together supporting each other's lives not living where 'only one survives'. 

So yes, relationships are full of mutual decisions - at the end of the day, it's a two way street. If he/she can have his life his /her way, so can you. Obviously, compromising is important too. The main thing is to never forget your worth in the relationship. If your partner loves you as much you love him/her, understanding would be put into place between you too. For example, I would think at some point he would need his space too so you can ask for your space.

All it takes is you two talking it out, everyone spends their free time differently & everyone has different amount of time to recharge. If yours is longer than his, then let him know - he'll understand. It's also about respecting each other's space. 

So the main point here is to know what you want & ask for it. Being alone in your own space does not mean you can't share your life with him or there's something that you dont like about him - it's nothing to do with that, so don't worry too much about it.

All I can say is, if you're in the same situation as me here - talk it out. That worked for me & it's the best solution I can offer you . You're both in a relationship together anyways, so talking your concerns out will not only help you but help both of you learn something new about each other which will benefit you both in the long run. 

With that,
I wish you & your partner luck,
Don't worry too much ,
Remember :
Communication is key.

Good luck & see you in my next post,
G.



Comments